Just in case you've missed it, here's the drill:
Go to Music Outfitters.
Enter the year you graduated high school in to the search function.
Take the list of top songs from that year and bold the ones you like, strike through the ones you don't, underline your favorite, and leave the rest alone.
Here's my take on the magical year that was 1982, including some commentary when appropriate.
1. Physical, Olivia Newton-John
Remember the video for this one?
2. Eye Of The Tiger, Survivor
This was 1982?
3. I Love Rock N' Roll, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
The programming manager at the little radio station in my hometown didn't like this song and wouldn't let it be played. He went out of town one weekend and one of the DJ's played it like 5 or 6 times in a row. I think that was about the only time it was ever played there.
5. Centerfold, J. Geils Band
6. Don't You Want Me, Human League
7. Jack And Diane, John Cougar
8. Hurts So Good, John Cougar
9. Abracadabra, Steve Miller Band
11. Tainted Love, Soft Cell
12. Chariots Of Fire, Vangelis
13. Harden My Heart, Quarterflash
15. I Can't Go For That, Daryl Hall and John Oates
16. 867-5309 (Jenny), Tommy Tutone
My roommate in college my freshman year was named Tommy. All the guys on the floor called him "Tutone."
17. Key Largo, Bertie Higgins
19. Waiting For A Girl Like You, Foreigner
20. Don't Talk To Strangers, Rick Springfield
21. The Sweetest Thing, Juice Newton
22. Always On My Mind, Willie Nelson
23. Shake It Up, Cars
24. Let It Whip, Dazz Band
25. We Got The Beat, Go-Go's
Until the day I die, this will always be my all time favorite group.
27. Turn Your Love Around, George Benson
28. Sweet Dreams, Air Supply
29. Only The Lonely, Motels
30. Who Can It Be Now?, Men At Work
31. Hold Me, Fleetwood Mac
What the hell was this song supposed to be about anyway?
33. Let's Groove, Earth, Wind and Fire
34. Open Arms, Journey
Okay, I know it's cheesy, but I had my first "serious" relationship my senior year in high school. I also ended my first "serious" relationship my senior year in high school.
She stayed in our small hometown, hooked up with another guy from our class, got married, and now works at Wal-Mart. I went to college, moved to Louisville, eventually came out of the closet, and fell in love with Keith. I think I got the better deal.
35. Leader Of The Band, Dan Fogelberg
36. Leather And Lace, Stevie Nicks and Don Henley
I LOVED this song!
Isn't it surprising how many shitty Air Supply songs are on this list?
38. I've Never Been To Me, Charlene
This song always reminds me of a friend of mine from my senior class. She got pregnant our senior year and had to finish the school year at home. She wasn't even allowed to walk with the rest of us at graduation.
39. '65 Love Affair, Paul Davis
40. Heat Of The Moment, Asia
41. Take It Easy On Me, Little River Band
42. Pac-man Fever, Buckner and Garcia
43. That Girl, Stevie Wonder
45. Trouble, Lindsey Buckingham
46. Making Love, Roberta Flack
47. Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me, Juice Newton
48. Young Turks, Rod Stewart
49. Freeze-frame, J. Geils Band
50. Keep The Fire Burnin', REO Speedwagon
Wasn't that such a great album?
51. Do You Believe In Love, Huey Lewis and The News
52. Cool Night, Paul Davis
53. Caught Up In You, 38 Special
54. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?, Diana Ross
55. Love In The First Degree, Alabama
56. Hooked On Classics, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
57. Wasted On The Way, Crosby, Stills and Nash
58. Think I'm In Love, Eddie Money
59. Love Is In Control, Donna Summer
60. Personally, Karla Bonoff
62. Blue Eyes, Elton John
63. Our Lips Are Sealed, Go-Go's
What? You expected me to be albe to pick between two Go-Go's tunes for my favorite??
I HATED this song!
66. Did It In A Minute, Daryl Hall and John Oates
The number of shitty Hall and Oates songs equals the number of shitty Air Supply songs.
67. I Ran, A Flock Of Seagulls
68. Somebody's Baby, Jackson Browne
69. Oh No, Commodores
70. Take It Away, Paul McCartney
71. It's Gonna Take A Miracle, Deneice Williams
72. Love Will Turn You Around, Kenny Rogers
73. Don't Stop Bellevin', Journey
Someone told me this was the "offical" song of our senior calss. I don't remember who made that decision.
75. Gloria, Laura Branigan
76. Empty Garden, Elton John
This might possibly have been the last era when Elton John songs were tolerable.
77. Yesterday's Songs, Neil Diamond
Yeah, yeah...I know....
78. Crimson And Clover, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
For some reason, I've not warmed to many covers of Tommy James songs.
79. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Police
81. I Keep Forgettin', Michael Mcdonald
82. Get Down On It, Kool and The Gang
83. Any Day Now, Ronnie Milsap
84. Make A Move On Me, Olivia Newton-John
85. Take My Heart, Kool and The Gang
86. Mirror Mirror, Diana Ross
87. Vacation, Go-Go's
I like it, but it's not as good as the other two.
89. Should I Do It, Pointer Sisters
90. Hot In The City, Billy Idol
91. Kids In America, Kim Wilde
I didn't realize this came out in '82. I thought it was closer to my college graduation.
92. Man On Your Mind, Little River Band
94. Waiting On A Friend, Rolling Stones
95. Do I Do, Stevie Wonder
96. Working For The Weekend, Loverboy
97. Goin' Down, Greg Guidry
98. Arthur's Theme, Christopher Cross
100. Edge Of Seventeen, Stevie Nicks
I was kind of surprised how many sappy sings there were in 1982. I'm also surprised that there were quite a few I couldn't remember. Who the hell was Karla Bonoff?
Great. Now I'm starting the day with Air Supply songs stuck in my head.