Wednesday, May 31, 2006

How Does My Garden Grow?

I’ve not really blogged about our garden much, for some reason. I think I’ll start right now. In our house it’s really simple: Keith grows veggies and I grow flowers.

This year’s veggies: Tomatoes (lots of them!), peppers, squash and beans (lots of beans!)

Past veggie efforts have included corn, carrots, melons (not a veggie, I know), eggplant, snow peas, and various lettuces. Due to lack of a consistent success with most of these, Keith decided to stick with the tried and true this year. So far, the beans are sprouting and we’ve got lots of tomato blooms and small tomatoes!


Keith is really dedicated to his garden and I’m proud of him for that. He built an 8’ x 8’ raised bed a couple of years ago, and puts a lot of time into getting it prepped each year. He’s trying the organic route this year.

This year’s flowers: marigolds, coleus (not a flower, I know), petunias, geraniums, begonias, and impatiens

That’s pretty much the regimen every year. I stick with what I know pretty consistently. I’ve got a couple of gardening books and I keep telling myself that I’m going to spend the winter months doing some research and planning, but I never do.

I’m usually pretty late getting my flowers out, and this year was no exception. I spent part of the day Monday planting, and still have to do the marigolds and petunias. I love my flowers, but I’m not as disciplined a gardener as Keith. Yesterday morning, my thighs and lower back reminded me that I had done some gardening the day before. Groan!

I decided this year to buy my gardening stuff from a local hardware store, instead of going to Home Depot again. Unfortunately, I waited too long to get them, and the local store didn’t have much of a selection. So, I still ended up at Home Depot. Best intentions and all that, I guess. Story of my life. I did manage to find some flowers there that came from a local supplier, so I bought them. I really do need to plan this better.

Anyway, it looks pretty wimpy right now, so I can’t wait until they fill out some.

When I get the last of the flowers out, I'll take some pics and post them.

No comments: