Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Rambles

Still losing weeks to this schedule.  Still trying to catch up with it.  All work and no play makes Eddie a dull boy.  Seriously.  That's about all I got going on right now.  I'll try to be more fulfilling and entertaining in the very near future.

Still, I got a couple of points:

Hit a ton of yard sales Saturday, despite the Derby Marathon (yes it's time for that madness) closing streets all around just about everywhere I wanted to be.  Why do churches schedule their sales knowing customers are going to have a hard time getting to them? And two of these are among my favorites for the year!

Thankfully, we were able to use the freeways to get over the race course and where we needed to be.  At one sale, which was the second day of a two day sale, I was referred to Ducky to price me out, since I had so much.  She carefully went through my box, and then said those four words junkers live to hear:  "How about 10 bucks?"

I also ran into one of those rarities, a seller who knows how to counter-offer!  We were bartering over an unpriced wooden mask she had for sale.  She couldn't decide what she wanted for it, so I offered two dollars to break the ice.  She said:  "Oh I can't do that."  I thought the deal was dead, but then she said "How about four?"  I came back with three and she agreed.  Now, that's the way this game is played!  Win-win.

Junk set out is coming back to my neighborhood right after Derby, so I'll hopefully have some finds and stories to tell out of that.

For the first time ever, I am going to have to go in and actually pay rent on a space tomorrow.  I have not made rent this month at one site.  My perfect record is ruined.  But when you don't have any sales for fifteen days out of a month (I counted), what do you expect?  Something is missing in this formula, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is.

2 comments:

Shara said...

Paying rent out of pocket sucks. I've never had to do it - KNOCK WOOD. I work at the Flea market and I am amazed at the people that come in month after month and pay rent on a booth that just sits there doing nothing. Why do they keep it? I know you do not fit into that quota - you're sales will pick up. There are 100,000 people coming into my area this weekend for a big arts and crafts fair plus lots of antiquing and yard sales. We are hoping for a BIG weekend at the Flea Market KNOCK WOOD again. Happy week to you, Eddie!

Lynn said...

Sorry you have to pay rent - I know your sales will pick up - you put too much work and thought into it not too!

I hope your new schedule is getting easier - I am so not a morning person!

My son-in-law had his shoulder replaced so I am babysitting for a 7 month old 2 or 3 days a week for the next 2 weeks. Thank God she isn't moving yet! Grandma is tired!!