Sunday, July 21, 2013

Linking Around

I kind of enjoyed doing a little link around post recently, so I thought I'd do another one.

Since I lost my own blogroll by accident a couple of years ago, I've been dragging my feet on recreating it.  The blog desperately needs a makeover, but it's hard enough to maintain the blogging momentum when it's just about writing posts.  Adding blog design into the mix just doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.

I have been spending time exploring blogrolls on other blogs, however.  That's led me to a couple of similar-themed blogs, which I enjoy and think are worth checking out.  Gorillas Don't Blog (which is also my new favorite blog title) is dedicated to sharing vintage pictures of Disneyland and other amusements and attractions.  If you're a fan of vintage, Americana, Disney, or just cool pics, you should check it out.

I went to Disneyland in 1984, while I was working in Southern California.  Since that trip was before the "Disney Renaissance" of the late 80's and early 90's, I really ought to dig my own pics out and do some research.  I wonder if anything I saw or rode isn't there any more.  Geez!  That's almost 30 years ago.  That's an eternity in modern pop culture terms!

The other blog is also a Disney blog, but it focuses on Alice in Wonderland stuff.  I'm always nuts for character merchandise, so I love checking this one out. 

Sue at Vintage Rescue Squad did a really great post offering tips for sprucing your booth space when the sales have been dragging.  I should probably heed some of that advice.  Our heat wave this week sent my sales into the toilet!  Her advice about diluting your brand really got me to thinking.  I've got a rep as dude who never says no to anything free.  I get given a lot of stuff that other dealers are tired of looking at.  I do make money on it, but many of those pieces aren't "me" and what I've tried to build my space into.  I need to ponder this.  Thanks, Sue!

Ever wonder what religion your favorite comic characters are?  Probably not, but I had to check out a site that combined a couple of my interests.  It's quirky, for sure.

Real junkers fuss about all those "reality" TV shows about junking that create such a false impression that they make it really hard for us to make any money.  Here's a good article that gives more information about how storage auctions really work.

If this doesn't make you go "Awwww!" then you have no heart.  She looks a lot like Chiquito, surprisingly, except that he has a tail.  He makes a noise like that when he is feeling neglected.

Follow the history of same sex marriage laws with this interactive map.  Play it slow and read the captions.  There's still way more orange/red states than blue/green states (one of them is my own), which means that, DOMA decision notwithstanding, there's still a lot of work to do.  I'm going to have to leave my own state to get married.

Employment non-discrimination doesn't get near the play it deserves, since the marriage issue began breaking big in recent years.  We need a new, comprehensive, national strategy to bring it back into prominence.

Fans of retro graphics and vintage printing really should pay more attention to old comics.  You can find so many wonderful examples of both.  See this awesome post from Progressive Ruin for an example. 

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

That religion in comics thing is the sort of piece someone will say, "Too much time on their hands," a phrase that always ticks me off, BTW.h