Friday, December 04, 2015

Catch Up Updates

After several days of anti-biotics, I have arisen from the sick bed!  And taken a shower!

And there was much rejoicing.

I still have the damn cough, but I'm bouncing back and on the mend.  Thanks to everyone for your get well wishes and patience.  It's been a bit too long since I've blogged.  So, let's catch up, shall we?

Except for being sick, Thanksgiving was really nice for us.  We never really seem to have enough time to spend in Arkansas, but that (and being sick) was really the only downside.  We were actually going to stay longer this time around, but that would have required rescheduling my treatment last Tuesday, and Keith's mother would not entertain that idea in the least.

Keith's mother and I have both been hinting at a summer visit, when we could stay a little longer and not have so long between visits.  Keith thinks that it would be too expensive to do that, but I think I have a plan that might make it possible.  We'll see....

I've always felt kind of bad that we spent so much more time over the years with my mother than we have been able to with his, simply because of the distance.  He and his mother are as close as I was with mine, and I would do just about anything to have them see each other more often while that's still possible.  

Any chance to see Keith's mom is worth it because she is such a jewel.  We tried beforehand to convince her that there was no need for a huge spread for Thanksgiving.  We were happy just to be with her.  When we got there, however, she kept pulling out dish after dish after dish and setting them on the table.  Her one compromise was that she bought the potato salad, instead of making it!

It was a good thing we had plenty of food, because Keith's brother came to dinner as well.  To be honest, Keith's relationship with his brother is, well, a bit strained.  This isn't the place to really go into the reasons, but we were surprised to learn he was coming.  The meal was cordial enough.  Everyone behaved and we all had good conversation.  They all even continued visiting after I went back to the hotel to rest.  We still have no idea why he decided to make the trip, but Keith's mother was ecstatic to have all of us there at once, and that's all that matters.   Oh yeah, everything was delicious!   

Since I was sick, I didn't get to visit with Keith's elderly aunt, whom I adore.  She's in her 90's, and I didn't want to pass anything on to her.  She's another sweetheart.I think everyone in town knows her.

Friday (the Friday after Thanksgiving, aka "Black Friday"), we set out for the mall in the nearest big city.  Yes, the mall.  On Black Friday.  I had to go.  It's tradition.  Several years ago when we were visiting, Keith's mom decided that she didn't like the look of Keith's shoes and that he needed new ones.  Not willing to take "no" for an answer, she swept us off to the mall and the shoe section of Sears.  Once we were there, she decided that it was only fair that I got a new pair of shoes as well.  I really protested this, but to no avail.  It's been our Thanksgiving tradition ever since. 

The shopping trip doesn't always fall on Black Friday.  Usually, it's a couple of days before Thanksgiving, but our trip schedule was different this year.  Honestly, I'm not wild about this tradition.  It's terribly sweet of her, but shoes aren't cheap.  I hate her spending that much money on us, especially when we don't often actually need the shoes.  Right now, I am wearing a pair I bought two years ago at the JC Penney Outlet that closed here.  I wear shoes until they have no life left in them before getting rid of them.  I still have pairs from the last two years to get to before wearing the pair we got this trip.  It feels like a wasteful use of her money to me.

Still, it's her money, her choice.  She is being sweet, and I don't want to hurt her feelings.  I thought we weren't going to do it this year.  I had Keith talked into finding an alternative--I had suggested going to a different town, doing some fun shopping, having coffee, and just hanging out for a while.  He's not any more of a fan of the mall than I am, but she would not hear of not getting shoes.

So I have shoes.

I already had Batman boxers.

And Batman socks.  Because Batman socks. And clearance. These were free by the way.  I used Keith's Sears points to pay for them.

Oh, yeah.  I may have gotten a bit of thrifting in.  Just maybe.  Hee hee hee!  Tune in later for that.

So, today, I am wandering out for the first time since we got back.  I have got to get over to the booth, which I know has to be a total wreck at this point.  It's been nearly two weeks since I have been there. True to booth logic, however, the longer I go without coming over, the stronger sales get.  Seriously.  December is young, but it's strong.

Which is good because November never really caught on.  I was having a mini-rally right before Thanksgiving, which had me thinking I could still pull a good month out, as long as Black Friday weekend was strong--which it wasn't.  It was just average, and so November became average as well.  Average is better than below average, but I was really wanting to build a fall streak of super-duper months.  Color my hopes dashed.

I do need to get out there, as most of my big ticket Christmas stuff has sold, and I need to put more out.  I also need to get caught up on everyone's blogs and emails.  I'll do that this weekend.  There's an indoor all Christmas yard sale at a church that I'm planning to hit, plus a library book sale.  Our favorite holiday event is Saturday night, and I am looking forward to that as well.

I think I still have time to pull off all the holiday surprises I had planned for the blog, so keep checking back.  A little vintage.  A little oddity.  A little cheer.  Just the way I like to celebrate. 

Stay warm and stay well..


7 comments:

Donna Wilkes said...

Batman socks rock. The first time I have heard of a Thanksgiving shoe event, but if it makes her happy, run with it. My niece and I hit the thrift shops on Black Friday for us, for gifts, and for selling. We filled our buggies! I am glad you feel better. It is tough to be sick at the holidays. Sales for November here were MEH. This week was a busy one - so there is hope.

Melissa said...

Glad you're feeling better. I'm going to get in one more booth "fluff" before I head across the pond for 3 weeks :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

So glad you emerged from your bed and that shower! YES! I know how good that feels and smells..lol. Sweet tradition about the shoes but I get the part about her spending her money, still it brings her happiness so it must be done. I can't wait to see some new thrifty finds. It's been a dessert here except for a couple of good things. I must admit to not getting out much between my back and this cold. I'm finally almost healed although the back will always be an issue I think. Miss you so get to the booth, fluff, blog and have fun.
hugs,
Linda

thompsontammy6463@gmail.com said...

The Batman socks rule !!!! Glad to hear your feeling somewhat back up to par . How sweet of Keith's mom to do the yearly shoe ritual :)) Evidently it make's her happy , so you have to follow along with her game plan. My mom is 83 and what she say's or wants, we try to accomadate her . Happy to hear your on the mend !! I wonder how your booth look's after two week's, ughhhhh !! Hug's , TT

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Well, WHEW.

Batman socks - yes ! Didn't you get sick LAST time you flew for a visit?

Mom's and Mom's in law do what they WANT to do. Makes her really happy when she can get something for her boys.

Take pictures booth if you have time while you are working. Big job, pace yourself.

Hugs.

Shara said...

I'm sure there is a joke here about not wearing shoes in Arkansas, but since I hate hillbilly humor, I will refrain. Glad you are feeling better. MUCH REJOICING! I've been thinking about making a thrifting run down that direction after the first of the year - you'll have to tell me where you went!

Judy said...

Glad you are better... love mum's shoe tradition! Why not, it makes her feel good to do it.