Monday, June 06, 2016

Monday Rambles

Much too much going on right now, with no time to ramble!  Ack!

I'm going to be house and cat-sitting for a week starting on Wednesday.  That means I'm leaving the house in the hands/paws of Keith and Chiquito.  I'm mildly concerned.

I don't have wifi access at that house, so look for a bunch of silly season posts after Wednesday.  I'll finally get those awesome smalls from set out up tomorrow and Wednesday.

There will be a Mazda shot on Sunday.  Saturday is the church and neighborhood sale that led to the birth of the Mazda shots a couple of years ago, so there will definitely be one.  I haven't been hitting a lot of sales lately, so there hasn't really been good material for a Mazda shot.

May finally ended with my lowest sales total in a while.  I realized when I got my check that, in spite of it all, (1) I did get a check and (2) that check is still several times larger than the first one I ever got.  I really don't have a lot to whine about in the end. 

But that might not stop me.

Last week, I told you all that I was offered the chance to buy out a booth for 50 bucks, which I took.  The deal was supposed to be for the merchandise only.  The vendor had 10 or so sets of shelves that were not part of the deal.  She was going to take those with her.

Well, last Monday, I went to the mall to start sorting out and moving the stuff out.  The vendor was there with her husband to get the shelves.  They had already taken a couple of plastic shelves out.  The husband wasn't really too keen on the idea of moving any more of the shelves out.  Every time she went to start moving a shelf, he would start hemming and hawing about how she didn't need that and they didn't have room for it and so on.  After he did this for several minutes, she would offer the shelf to me.  This process repeated over and over again until she had given me all the shelves at no extra cost.

On one hand, this is cool.  I can always use shelves and free is good.  On the other hand, now there's a lot more work to do.  Some of the shelves are pretty crappy too.  A couple have loose backs and one has no back whatsoever.  I put prices on all of them right away--super cheap for the crappy ones and not so cheap for the rest.

It took me a couple of days to deal with all the stuff, and during that time, all the crappy shelves sold and so did a couple of the good ones.  I made my money back just on those!  I put all the remiaing shelves in my newest booth, replacing the tables I was using in there.  This gave me a lot more room.

It ended up taking more time than  I originally planned, but it worked out fairly well, I think.  Out of the stuff in the booth, about three-fourths of it got moved to my booths.  I'll leave the prices alone for right now, then reduce them a little later.  I threw away about a third of what was left--broken, nasty stuff that should have never gone into a booth.  Another third went into a free cart--stuff that was okay, but not anything I wanted to dedicate booth space too.  It was gone in a day or so.  The last third came home to go in my yard sale.

And that was pretty much all I did last week.  Pretty dull, I know.  I was even too busy to take any pics.

Let me make up for that with some Music for Monday and then I'll split.



See ya!



4 comments:

Donna Wilkes said...

What a bummer of a video, Eddie. Monday is blue enough without nuclear apocalypse. Our May started with a slow bang and ended with a whimper. I was out of town last week so until tomorrow I will not know how bad. I made the rent and then some in the first two weeks. I know this might be a shocker, but I have not bought a single item - not even a craft supply - in three weeks. No furniture restoring or painting. Thus no blog posts.

Melissa said...

I totally understand being too busy to do anything. I've been buying, but only at the yard sales. Think I'm over the auction crowd this summer, unless a really good one comes along! I can barely find time to take shots of what I have bought this summer, especially in the last week. I can't get any projects finished... *sigh* what's a girl to do?

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Seems like the start of June has us all busy busy busy!! I'm glad buying out the booth worked for you and yay to a Mazda shot soon. Take care and enjoy your house sitting!!
hugs,
Linda

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Don't know how I've missed your blog for so long. Love your "shelves" story. Just karma sometimes.