Wednesday, March 09, 2016

How About a Few Recent Finds?

I haven't shared anything I've picked up in a while, so here are some highlights from a couple of church sales, plus a Goodwill run or two.

The comic shop had a sale the other day.  The comic selection wasn't the hottest, although I did find quite a few things.  Mostly it was the fifty cent graphic novels and sets that made the bulk of my purchases.  I came out way under budget on this trip, which is probably good.  At the last sale, I went over budget, mainly on stuff for me.  There was very little of that this time.

One thing  I did get was DVD's.  I'm pretty well-stocked on movies right now, but they get people into the book booth, so I made some selective choices, namely multi disc packs of older movies:


Stuff still new in the unopened shrinkwrap:


And religious topics:


A most unexpected find was a small graphic novel by one of my favorite singer-songwriters.  You just never know what's out there.


If you don't know Hayes, here's a good example of his work.  The man do have a way with the words.



This one is my favorite.  (Admittedly, a hard pick to make.)







If I don't stop now, The focus of this post is going to change dramatically.  Do a YouTube search for Hayes Carll.  I promise it's worth the time you'll lose.

Now, where was I?  Oh, yes.  The comic shop sale.


Of course, some oddness just for me.  Santa vs Satan?  It's the battle of the anagrams!  I am so there.



I still pick up VHS from time to time as well, as long as I don't pay more than a quarter. Flea markets attract people who, for whatever reason, have not upgraded their media technology.  I have seen customers, particularly older men, with carts full of nothing but VHS tapes.

Since they do take up a lot of room, I don't go searching them out deliberately.  My rules are pretty much the same as for DVD's:  Disney, a few classic films, oddball stuff, and religious topics.


This is actually one that makes me wish I still had a VHS player.

Of course, I got something for myself.


Reusable Marvel super-heroes shopping bag for the win.  I can't wait for the next big flea to break it in!  Woo to the Hoo!


The only thing I really knew about this book was that it was published at $150, but was on sale for $5.  There's got to be some room to do something with that.  It's totally not my thing, but someone else may like it.  It's also signed and has a set of prints included.



Courtesy of the local Goodwill, I found more SUMO BUTT!  Which means I now have three of them.  Which means I am a Sumo Butt collector, I guess.  My mother would be so proud.



Aren't these just the sweetest Kokeshi dolls ever????  I have become quite infatuated with Kokeshi over the past couple of years.  If I had room (those Sumo Butts take up a LOT of space), I would probably be seriously collecting them.  Instead, I am quite content with owning them and admiring them in the booth until someone else comes along who will take them home.  Re-selling:  It's dealing with your hoarding issues by making them someone else's.



IT'S THE RETURN OF THE REALLY BIG BUGS!  (And I love it!)



Finally, this bassinet doesn't have the hood, but I got it for a song, so it doesn't matter.  I thought it would be a cute display piece for teddy bears.  Looks like I was right, although I might switch those out for Disney beanies, since I have a ton of them.

Oops.  One more.  I found this vintage Bakelite View Master at such a good price, I had to check to make sure I hadn't turned into Shara.



The reel that was with it?  Is it some lost, vintage classic? 

Uhm, no.


3 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Good to see you are still finding some fun stuff! I love the View Master!! (ha ha you thought you were Shara!)

hugs,
Linda

Shara said...

I wouldn't wish me on anyone! Be yourself!!!!!! Hahahahaha I do have one of those somewhere......need to locate it!

Melissa said...

So... I've seen Santa vs. Satan... but it was Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode (http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Claus_%28episode%29). You can watch the actual movie on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLoEkCkz_fA). I think the MST3K one is on Amazon Prime. It's obviously way funnier with the MST3K folks, but yeah, give it a watch for a good laugh!