Thursday, August 11, 2005

Of course, I didn’t have my camera with me…

Music

Tuesday night after my aerobics class, I stopped by Ear X-Tacy to get the new Eliza Gilkyson album, Paradise Hotel, which had just gone on sale. Last year, when she released Land of Milk and Honey, I waited until the weekend after its release and there was only one copy left. (Not sure if that was all they had ordered or not.) This time, I decided to get there on the day of release, just in case.

Anyway, there was a band doing an in-store there, and it was one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. The three guys in Attic Ned (I think that was the name) wear cardboard masks that cover their entire faces when they perform. Even the guy playing trumpet had a cardboard full-face mask on. In addition to the trumpet, they had a guy making noise (um, I mean, doing vocals), and one doing beats and percussion kinds of stuff.

They were wrapping up their first number when I got there. Before they started the second, the noise-maker (uhm, vocalist) looked at the five or six people who had come to watch the band and said “Join us! Put on a mask!”

Next thing I know, they’ve all got face-covering cardboard masks on!

Thankfully, the New Release section is right by the front door. Unfortunately, there weren’t any copies of the Gilkyson disc there. I had to make my way to the Folk Music section, which is right by the area they use for in-stores.

While I was relieved to see that they had gotten a dozen or so copies of this one, I didn’t tarry too long. I was really afraid of someone sneaking up behind me, slamming a mask on my head, and pulling me into their bizarre cult!

Actually, the music was pretty catchy and I was almost intrigued enough to stay and see what would happen next. If I hadn’t been all sweaty from my work out, I probably would’ve.

No comments: