Wednesday, November 04, 2015

And today, I am 51

Or, as I have taken to saying, I have completed 51 revolutions around the sun.  I guess this could also be looked at as the start of my 52nd revolution around the sun.  Come with me.  It is your destiny.

Fifty-one is an odd number.  It's divisible by three, which is cool.  Numbers that divide by three are my favorites.  Yes, I said that.  Actually my real favorite numbers are ones with six or more digits when they are found in my checking account.  Since that never happens, I'll stick with numbers divisible by three.

Do you all know the easy way to tell if 3 will go into a given number?  Add the digits of the number up.  If the sum is divisible by three, then the original number is. 

5 + 1 = 6

Six is divisible by three, so 51 is divisible by three.

If you can't tell if the sum is divisible by three, keep adding the digits together until you come to a sun that you can tell.

578,424,372

5 + 7 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 3 + 7 + 2 = 42  

Not sure what you've got?  Keep going!

4 + 2 = 6

Six is divisible by three, so 578,424,372 is too.  And also 42!  Isn't it cool?

When I was a kid I used to entertain myself on car trips by seeing if the numbers on billboards, license plates, etc were divisible by three.  I still do it sometimes when I'm bored.  Once a nerd, always a nerd.

Finally, the source of my fascination with threes.  I was a kid in the 70's after all.  The part when they start counting by threes  gets me every time.



Happy Birthday to me!  (I don't think "51st Revolution Around the Sun Completion Day" works in the song.  Someone will have to do something about that.)

12 comments:

thompsontammy6463@gmail.com said...

Did I ever mention I Am a dumb blonde who hasn't had coffee andyet, been up since 4:30 AM ?? Lol HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, Eddie !!!! Mexican today ? A big big ole hug , TT ( see I need to go back to bed , my comment about coffee is jumbled up , lol )

Roger Owen Green said...

I use all those magic number tricks. If it adds up to 9, it's divisible by 9. Obviously, if it's even it's divisible by two. Ff it's divisible by 9, and ends with 5, it's divisible by 45. Oddly useful.

Roger Owen Green said...

Oh, and of course, happy natal day!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am so not into math stuff! LOL!! Big Happy Birthday to you my friend. Sending hugs and more hugs. Enjoy your Birthday day, week and yes dare I say it Month! I believe we deserve more then a day to celebrate another year around the sun!
xoxoxo

Linda

Melissa said...

Happiest of Birthdays, Eddie!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday soon to be my Con brother!

Shara said...

MATH. UGH. But, you make it fun! Happiest of birthdays to you, my friend!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Good gosh a math lesson! Happy Birthday to you! (we are the same age now :) )

Donna Wilkes said...

1-2-3-3-4 5-6-7-8-1-9-2-4 10-9-9-6-10 8-1-10 11-10-7-9. 6 12-13-14-10 15-7-2-16-4 11-17-18-5-10-7 19-2-18-10-20 !!!!

Marci said...

Happy 51 revolutions Eddie! Sorry I am a day late to the party. The School House Rock vid was great. My all time favorite was Bill Sitting here on Capital Hill and I had never seen the 3 one so I enjoyed it very much. Hope you had a spinning good time :)

Judy said...

Hope you had a glorious birthday! Ugh...hate math..

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Happy Birthday Eddie even though I read your post late. I never miss reading your post the day you write - had to happen on your 51st Birthday !!! Hugs.