Thursday, March 17, 2005

Musical Chairs

Music

Dorian at Post-Modern Barney has declared a moratorium on comics posts for the week, and the results, so far, have made for great reading. I love Wednesday’s post about music. I now have to check out French pop music! I’ve got to take a tip from anyone who listens to 80’s music, Polyphonic Spree, Dolly Parton, and Ashley MacIsaac! (Ashley’s gay? How did I miss that?)

Speaking of music, I got a neat bit of mail about the blog the other day. You can tell it’s a rare occurrence, because I feel the need to mention it. Chris, a fellow Sam Phillips fan, sent some kind words about my best of 2004 list, particularly since it included A Boot and a Shoe. He also passed on the news (to me) that Sam has her own web page now and is planning another new album for 2005! Yay!

Of course, I also got a slightly less positive email about my best concerts of 2004 list, from Keith, of all people. I knew he wouldn’t be to happy that I put any other show above Kris Kristofferson at the Ryman. He started grousing about it even before I finished the post! I kept telling him that if he didn’t like it, he should get his own blog. Well, he did.

Finally, some stuff I’m enjoying the hell out of lately:

Shivaree: Who’s Got Trouble?
Suzzy and Maggie Roche: Why the Long Face
Nanci Griffith: Hearts in Mind
Rilo Kiley: More Adventurous

And Mercy Now from Mary Gauthier kicks ass! But you already knew I’d say that….

No comments: