Wednesday, May 31, 2017

To Provoke the Thoughts

A while back, I wrote a post about the the nature of photography and how it's changed in the digital age.  I still wonder what is going to be at the estate sales of the future in place of boxes of family photos. 

Monday, when I was trying to find the blog post I wrote about my mother's death for a post on the Book of Faces, I stumbled across four or five older posts in a row that had deleted videos embedded in them.  On the one hand, this makes me a little sad, given that this blog is a record of the last twelve years of my life, off and on.  On the other hand, do I really want to go back and clean up 1000+ old posts when there are much better (and more fun) uses of my time?

John Green works a bit with both those ideas in this interesting video.  If you don't know who he is, check out the vlogbrothers YouTube channel.  It's pretty awesome. 



3 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Really interesting, and it goes to what I've been thinking of in terms of my blog and its future when I (urp) die.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wow! This is a good one. I find missing things I linked to in my old blog posts also. My Mom asked what my Grandkids would do in the future when wanting to look at photos of themselves as children. I said well, look on a computer. But what if they are all 'gone'?? I guess I better send some photos off to Shutterfly to get printed.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

I know the grandparent pictures in our 'bigger family' are very scarce - they just didn't have cameras, mostly studio pictures and then we copy them so everyone gets to see what they looked like. 38 years ago it was print - and my son' pictures filled 11 photo albums before he was 5. Now its mostly digital and I keep thinking I should put together books showing progression of my grandson's little life and he is almost 14 now. If the cloud dies or if all my backup cds can't be opened or the hard drives can't be recognized ... you get the idea.

Hi Eddie, good topic.

Hugs, Joy