Saturday, November 22, 2008

Some thoughts while traveling to Arkansas

Where did November go? This month has been a surreal whirlwind. I think I worked more hours this month than I ever have. I have three major tasks happening at the same time at work, plus a second job, and a new position that I'm starting to transition into. And now it's time for the trip to Keith's mother's.




Seen on a bumper sticker:

"I started out with nothing and have done a pretty good job of holding on to it."




Why is it that we can never get out of town until at least 2:00 p.m.? Even when we plan to do so much earlier?




Tennessee has more state parks than anywhere, I think. Or at least it seems so by the signs on the interstate. I swear we passed an exit last night that had signs for something like a dozen parks.




If they're all that close together, then why not just lump them all together in one mega-state park?




Which Jackson were Johnny and June singing about? I always thought it was Jackson, MS, but given that he was from Arkansas and they lived in Nashville, it very well could have been Jackson, TN.




Keith's growing tendency to shout "Loser!" at every car we pass that has a McCain/Palin sticker is starting to become worrisome.




I'm surprised that internet travel sites haven't put them out of business, but those free magazines with hotel coupons in them that you get at rest areas and restaurants along the interstates are the bomb! Especially, if you're not sure how far you're going to make it in the first day of your trip, so you're leery of making a reservation somewhere.




Welcome to the South, where there's a Waffle House at every exit!

No comments: