Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Rambles

This has been one crazy-ass week, let me tell you!  I left some space in my blogging schedule for some writing, including my normal Monday Rambles post, and then watched it all fall away from me.

My head is kind of spinning from everything going on, so let me put a few points out there for you all to bring you up to date and confirm that I do, indeed, still exist and that I can do something besides post about religious booklets.

First and foremost, the biopsy came back negative!  They'll keep monitoring that spot, but it is not cancerous.  I cannot tell you what a relief that is for me!  I'm back on the regular cycle of three month scans and follow ups.  Thanks so much for all the kinds notes and thoughts.  I really appreciated it.  After we got the news, Keith made me waffles for supper to celebrate!

Last weekend's sales were pretty good.  The van continues to prove its usefulness by hauling lots of stuff.   We're still very early in the season, which means that I can get by with less than fifty bucks, because there aren't that many sales.

I had a rare and mystifying experience on Saturday:


I found myself waiting in line to get into a church sale.  I'm not one for lines to get into sales, especially when I can tell that there are several other dealers also in the line.  For one, I just don't have the patience for it.  You'll never catch me signing up for a number at an estate sale, unless that estate sale features an Emmylou Harris concert in the living room (and they're selling good comic books).

For another, I hate with the passion of a thousand white hot suns the shoving and grabbing games that some dealers like to play.  I know that one of these days I'm going to end up telling one of these assholes off for trying to push past me, and I'll be the one that gets booted from the sale.  There are a lot less frustrating ways to get stuff.

Besides that, I hit this sale every year, but it's never really that good.  I only put it on my list because it happens at the time of year where there aren't that many sales available to choose from. (Got another one of those coming up tomorrow.)  So I found myself kind of baffled that this particular sale had a line.  Really?

Then it dawned on me that I had never been to this sale as it opened.  I always get there after it's been going a while.  Maybe it's a little better come opening time.  So, I bade my time and waited in line and pondered which one of these dudes was going to be the one to piss me off.

The sale finally opened and I went right to the stuff I was looking for, which is furniture these days.  They had the most adorable kids' school desk for a couple bucks.  I could feel the other guys lining up behind me to stare at it, so I took my time going over it.  Then, while a couple of them were glaring at me, I took out my dollars and paid for it.  I got dirty looks for the rest of the sale and a couple of comments about what a steal I got as I was leaving with it.  You can't always judge a sale by the past, I guess.

Buying a cute school desk:  wonderful.  Pissing off a bunch of obnoxious dealers in the proces:  PRICELESS!

Sorry no pics.  I rushed everything to the booth last Saturday and totally forgot to snap any.  And i also picked up the most awesome set of wicker chairs to boot. They're purple!

I've got more to babble about, but I've got to head out the doo to grab a bus for work.  I'll throw it all into Monday's Rambles.  Have a good weekend and happy yard sales!

5 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Relief. Thanks for the update, I've been thinking about you all week and so very glad you got a 'negative'.

The rude, loud, pushy dealers give the public such a bad image. Score for the desk and score for zapping in such a polite way.

Take care.

Joy

svelteSTUFF said...

Gives me inspiration for an 'eh' sale I was debating bothering with tomorrow ;-) THANKS!

Lorraine said...

So glad to hear the biopsy was negative. I had a feeling it would be. Glad I was right! :-)

Judy said...

Hooray for a negative biopsy, Eddie. What relief you must be feeling.

I know the feeling of beating out someone (especially an A-hole) for a treasure!

Shara said...

WHEW! That's a relief!

Isn't it funny that even though we are technically "dealers" we don't think of ourselves as such? I mean, I know I don't. I go to sales, see what's there and buy it for whatever they are asking. I do buy to resell, but I'm always on the hunt for things for ME first then I pick up stuff to sell to help pay for my purchases. Pushy bold dealers give all resellers a bad name.