Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Junking Show I Could Get Into (If It Were Real)

To be honest, I hope to get in a bit of junk-shopping while I'm at my reunion.  I may be more excited about that than I am about seeing people that I haven't heard from or thought about in decades.  A change in junking environment does a body good, you know.

Like a lot of junkers I know, I'm pretty much over the whole junking TV craze these days.  I'm hoping it's a trend that's faded, because all it really does is make things more difficult for us, because there is always some yo-yo who says that he saw 'the Pickers give 600 bucks for one just like it."  Everything boils down to commodification on those shows.  What can they get out of it?  Very little respect gets paid to an object's history or uniqueness.  They could care less about how cool or awesome it is.  No one has any joy over finding something that they can use to provide someone else an unforgettable experience.  It's stuff without any soul whatsoever.

Whether they're picking or junking or buying units or going to other auctions, there's always an obvious element of unreality to the whole deal, which is especially obvious if you're a real-life junker.  It's time for the whole thing to just go away and let us junk in peace.

However, there is one show that I would fall in line behind, if it ever made it to the TV screen:  Lake Dredge Appraisals!  Check this out:



Isn't that just the perfect parody of all of those shows?  It's on the Onion channel on YouTube.  It's definitely worth checking out.  Quite honestly, it's one of the best things on that channel.

No comments: