Thursday, July 10, 2014

Saint Lucy!

I actually bought this one back in December, right after my very first follow-up at the cancer center.  I set it aside in our rush to get ready for our holiday trip, and it never got posted here.  In fact, I just found the bags from that thrift store run and got them ready for the booth!  (Seriously have to get organized....)

It's too great of a find not to share, so I give you:


SAINT LUCY!

There are a series of legends referred to as the "virgin martyrs" that are some of my favorite tales, as far as hagiography goes.  There's very little historicity to them, but lots of gore, piety, and wonder.  I totally adore them.  Many of these stories were downgraded in the wake of Vatican II, as part of the effort to update church devotional practices, but the saints were (and still are) very popular.  I'm trying to build up a collection of them, so this was a great find for me.

My Virgin Martyr Collection

Like a lot of these tales, Lucy's story has different versions.  This is the most common one.  I recall reading one that said she tore her own eyes out (that's them on her platter) when a suitor admired them, lest she be tempted to vanity and he to lust.  They miraculously grew back as a sign of her piety and devotion.


Alas, I cannot find that version online anywhere.  EDIT:  Keen-eyed reader Lorraine from Clamco saw the one line mention of this tale in the link I provided.  I must have skimmed over it.  I wish it was a little longer, but I'll take what I can get.


2 comments:

Lorraine said...

They mention the eyes in the last line on the Wikipedia page you linked to. I just read the whole thing. Pretty gruesome! I've never seen a statue of her before. Eyeballs on a platter. Wow.

Chris the Yardsale Queen said...

Interesting - my mom (with macular degeneration) says a prayer to Saint Odelia everyday. I will have to print out the St. Lucy prayer for troubled eyes and she can add that to her list.