Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Monday Ramble That Wasn't

What a week last week was, and what a week this week will be.  I pick up extra hours at work starting this week, which I'm kind of looking forward to, but am not totally sure I am ready for.  I have a lot of ideas for what I want to do, but I've not had time to put anything to paper and actually plan it out.

I've also got another matter going on that's going to take some time this week.  I don't want to say anything about it just now, because there's still a lot that I don't know, but in a couple of weeks, I'll be able to fill you all in.

We went to dinner and a play Friday night for a birthday party for one of Keith's friends.  This was someone we both used to work with ages ago.  I looked around the table at all these people we've known for years, but haven't seen for a while, and couldn't help but think:  "Damn!  When did we all get so old?"  I'm planning on going to my 25th (!) college reunion next month.  I wonder what that's going to be like?

Sales were up and down all week.  The up's were waaaay up and the down's were equally so.  Sigh.  I'm starting to think Louisville is at a saturation point of re-sale vendor's malls and it's starting to effect sales.  I can think of like two dozen off-hand.  I'm thinking more here of the flea market-type malls, as opposed the the more secondhand store kind of place like YesterNook. 

There were special events at both stores on Saturday.  I went and helped out at the YesterNook event, which was fun.  It was kind of Halloween-themed, so I went in costume as the Mad Monk of Schnitzelburg!  (Schnitzelburg is the name of the neighborhood where the store is located.)

Flee the Mad Monk!

I got the costume last year at Halloween clearance sales.  The wig I got on sale this year.  It was 4 bucks.  (It looks it too!  But I felt a "mad monk" needed "mad hair.")  The crucifix I am wearing is an antique.  I felt that was in keeping with the nature of the store.  It was actually the first item I ever bought when I was beginning my collection of religious items.  It was five dollars in a now-defunct antique store on the same street as the auction guy.  That was in 1987.  How's that for a junkin' memory?

That hair drove me nuts, by the way.  It got in my eyes and face all the time, especially when I was trying to work on anything.  That cheapo polyester robe sure makes me look fat!  The wig was hot, hot, hot!  I cannot figure out how Dolly Parton does it.

I had the best one day sales ever during the event at the YesterNook, which is way cool.  I got rid of several large, pricey (for me) items.  I didn't do as well at the other event, but I've now sold all of the skulls, but one!  Yay! Skulls gone!  In fact, if I can move out the last skull and a couple of Halloween buckets, I'll be down to less than half a tub of stuff.  I'm at about 75% sell through now, which is what I did last year.  I'd like to bump that up to 85-90%.  We'll see.  

I hit the motherlode of furniture at an warehouse sale on Saturday.  I got a vintage office chair, two stools, two cool black chairs and a couple of industrial retro mail sorters for less than thirty bucks.  I've already flipped the black chairs for enough to pay for the whole load!

The sale was at an old printing firm that had gone out of business.  The people who bought the building didn't want to throw everything away, so they were trying to sell it.  Prices were just  kind of okay, but the guy started making deals on everything I was looking at and it turned into a festival of bargains!   

Here's a point to ponder:  Everybody I've ever known in my life named "Eddie" spelled it just like I do, with "ie" on the end.  I've never known, met or heard of anyone who spelled it "Eddy."  So why is it when I order something that requires my name to be written on a receipt, it always ends up as "Eddy"?  Seriously, people!

No comments: