Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Taking a step

I'm making a really big step today.  Things are about to change for me, starting today.

In a few hours, I am submitting the letter announcing my intent to leave YesterNook, one of the stores where I have a booth.  By the end of the month, I'll be gone.  I'm going to focus all my resale efforts on the Peddlers Mall for the time being, while I look for a second site.  I'm on the waiting list for another store, but it may take a few months before my name makes it to the top of the list.

In the meantime, I've got a lot to do:  sell off as much as possible, plan the move out, figure out where to place/stash stuff, etc.  I think I can accommodate most of my shelving and large items at the Peddlers Mall, either in my booth or on consignment.  My large item sales there are picking up, so it's good to have some more to move in.

This was not an easy decision to make and there are a lot of reasons behind it--both business and personal.  I'm not going to go into a lot of them here.  This isn't the place for such a discussion.  The bottom line is this:  my business has been hurting since I got sick.  I just didn't have it in me to do what needed to be done to keep things on an even keel, so things started to slide.

Now that I am getting back to whatever passes for 100% for me, it's time to reverse that slide.  After just a little effort, I can see Peddlers Mall starting to turn around.  It's going to take a lot more effort to get it where it needs to be, and I have decided to dedicate my energy there.  I know what I can do there, whereas at YesterNook I never really did approach the levels I wanted.

In the end, it's a matter of making a rational decision and doing what needs to be done.  I can't help feeling like a little bit of a failure, though.

1 comment:

Shara said...

You are not a failure Eddie! Different stores have different customers. You are bound to do better at one than the other. I let my booth slide a bit during my Mom's injury. But, it kept on going without me. Just move on and be done! No worries. (Except storage - eye yi yi - I don't have enough of that myself!)