Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday Rambles

Welcome Home!  Welcome Home!

That's what the boys said when we got back.  Or, at least, what they would have said if they could talk.  Instead it was more like "Myah!"  (Kosh, who has just one word for everything) and "Myaroo!"
(Chiquito, who has dozens of words).

Seriously, we were bombarded for petting and loving for a long time after we got in.  And followed everywhere.  And sat on every time we sat down or slowed down.  I think we were missed.

Just in case there was any doubt, this is what happened when I got into bed:

He slept either on me or right beside me all night long, purring the whole time.  (Please ignore that stack of books and messy bookshelves.  I live my life surrounded by them.  I'm kind of like the guy in this classic Twilight Zone episode.  But I guess that's better than being the guy from this classic Batman episode.

 We're still unpacking and settling in, and trying to tackle everything else.  Even the return home had several detours, starting in Jackson, TN, where I snuck in a small bit of thrifting, adding to the already overstuffed car!  When we hit Louisville, we went right to the Peddlers Mall, to put the boxes from Keith's mother and my thrift purchases in my storage room.  (I'll sort them all out tomorrow.)  Since we had to get milk, I also perused some Christmas clearance items, but the markdowns aren't enough yet.  (I did get some markdown stuff at an awesome grocery store in Arkansas, though.)

Yesterday, we had our holiday get-together with some friends.  Every year we go to brunch at their house.  Keith volunteered us to make a breakfast casserole, so I whipped one up and it was a hit!  I had looked at some recipes online, but I didn't want one made with bread, because they require too much advance work and need to sit overnight.  I also didn't want one with potatoes, since our friend makes an awesome potato dish every year.  In the end, I just threw some veggie sausage, bell peppers, onion and mushrooms in a casserole dish, then beat some eggs with a little milk and sour cream and black pepper and poured it over the whole thing.  It went into the 350 degree oven for about an hour and voila!  Keith had me worried that the eggs weren't going to set up and cook and it would be all soupy, but it came out nice.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the booth to take down the Christmas and restock and re-do everything.  I've got some ideas for a couple of displays I want to do, plus an old metal cabinet sold, so I need to do some rearranging.  It's so convenient having almost everything in storage there.  I can just whip it out and throw it one the shelves.  I think I'm going to do a markdown table of some things that need to leave for a couple of weeks, then take the leftovers to the thrift downstairs from us.  I want to start the new year with as much new stuff as possible in the booth.

I usually leave the Christmas stuff up until after New Years, but I haven't sold a bit of it since Christmas and I have all this time off.  Why not put it to good use?  This has turned into my top sales month for the year, so I want to push it a bit more in the time that's left.  I also want to set the stage for a good new year.  I'll probably end up working there from open to close.

Tuesday is the New Year's big flea market with the antique wing.  It's the last day, so the antique dealers will have their dollar tables set up.  I'm also looking for more comic books.  They're selling pretty quickly.  In large batches.  I have some in storage to bring out, but I'll need to bag them first.  If I can buy some that are already bagged, that will save me some time on Monday.  Plus, I'll need more backstock regardless.

Wednesday is the kick-off for the secret project I've talked about here and there.  I'll try to remember to take pictures.  I'm still trying to get everything arranged for that.

I'll probably spend the rest of the week doing things around the house.  I've got a lot of catching up to do.  I also need to work on some blog posts for the new year.  And that pesky stack of comics is just crying out to be read!

Well, Kosh just jumped up between me and the keyboard, so I guess that's my cue to get out of here!


Roger Owen Green said...

Happy holidays, Eddie!

Shara said...

Harp's is the company where I worked for 12 years, met The Breadman there - my Dad worked there for 27 years, oh the list goes on and on. Wnet to school with all the Harp kids, went to Hawaii with the Harp family, went on a cruise with the Harp's, and on and on......not that you care. Just wanted to throw that out there!

I don't think I could ever go anywhere again and leave my cats. They NEED us! My Mom was my cat sitter and she's kind of out of commission still on that one, so I guess we will just stay with them. Glad you had a nice trip and are happy to be HOME!

Lynn said...

You are making me tired with all you are doing this week! Glad you are home though. At least that's how I feel when I've been gone for a while! All the best for the New Year!

Judy said...

Busy busy, busy! Sounds like you have a plan in place. A good way to start off the new year.