Monday, April 14, 2014

Stations of the Cross

I decided to start this series of vintage Stations of the Cross prayer booklets with my very favorite one.  I love the purple color and the images that they use for each station, probably the most vivid black and white images I've ever seen.

I was a little thrown at first by the cover image with the crossed crucified arms, one bare and one clothed.  It finally dawned on me that this is a Franciscan booklet, so the two arms represent Christ (bare) and St. Francis (clothed).  St. Francis is supposed to have been the first person to bear the marks of the stigmata.




From the back cover.

Inside back cover.



By the way, it appears that the St Francis Bookshop is still in business in Cincinnati, but it's moved to a different location.  (This booklet is from the 30's.)

No comments: