Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Wednesday Rambles

I'm posting a tad late this week.  Sorry about that.  Time kind of got away from me due to SPRING BREAK FEVER!!!!!!  Yes, it's a semi-vacation week.  I say "semi" because I do have a few hours of work, thank goodness.  The weather cancellations over the winter really hit me hard, so I can use the little bit of owrk.  I also have confirmed hours for the summer as well. which makes me happy.  However, I do not have to work evenings this week and that makes me happy too!  Today is my last shift for the week, so tomorrow and Friday are play (and booth) days.

Since I'll have a bit more time this week, I've got some plans.  I'm going to spend a lot of time working on the booths.  Sales are going to bottom out this week due to Spring Break.  People just don't shop the vendor malls this time of year.  In fact, we're getting ready to head into the low part of the year, as far as sales go.

We'll be coming out of Spring Break next Monday, only to head into the Derby Festival that coming Saturday.  For the rest of the world, it's a horse race.  In Louisville, the Kentucky Derby is an excuse to have a three week party.  A three week party that kills sales, mind you.  At least Louisville is out of the running in the tournament.  Last year, that sucked the life out of things even further.  Sigh!

The Derby takes us into May, where things don't get much better.  People don't shop used for Mother's Day.  Schools start getting out sometime in there (maybe).  Vacations start. The competitions from yard sales start in earnest.  And we're looking at a sales lull that will last into at least mid-June, when it gets too hot for casual yard sale shoppers and they head back indoors.  Double Sigh!

So this is the time of year for cleaning, rearranging, restocking, organizing your storage space, etc.  My plan for the week has been to take care of my storage, which has admittedly gotten out of control.  I'll put out a few Easter things I picked up last Friday and restock my comic books, which are getting low.  I'm not going to put out much more new stuff than that, since Spring Break also means more crowds of unsupervised teenagers roaming the mall, which means an uptick in shoplifting, sad to say.  Also in mess, damage and chaos.  I love the vendor malls, but they bring their own breed of issues.

I have an idea for shifting some merch around if I have time to get to it.  I'd also like to rework the physical layout of my space a little, just to shake things up a bit.  We'll see.  I still need to do some thrifting, track down some more furniture, and get a haircut. I also want to see the new Muppet movie and try the new Taco Bell breakfast.

So many things to do!  I'd better get to it!  See ya!

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMYLOU HARRIS!!!!!

2 comments:

Shara said...

Busy, busy, busy!

That's funny because the really good months for booths are just getting started. The holidays are great, of course. But, the Spring and Summer are always good - Spring because people want to get out and DO something and summer because it's too hot to go outside.

I had three bigger sales last week (a lot of my stuff is under $5.00) so I am stoked about this month!

Lynn said...

Sounds like you have a good plan in place and unlike a lot of people you now know what to expect. Your hard work now will pay off in the end.

Me I'm working on a quilt for someone special. I may post on yardsale because I need some positive vibes to get it done. It has a story - with me there's always a story! LOL !

Have fun on your days off!